sexta-feira, 17 de outubro de 2008

My soul is Dark - Lord Byron

I can never get people to understand that poetry is the expression of excited passion, and that there is no such thing as a life of passion any more than a continuous earthquake, or an eternal fever. Besides, who would ever shave themselves in such a state?

Lord Byron, in a letter to Thomas Moore, 5 July 1821

My Soul is Dark

My soul is dark - Oh! quickly string
The harp I yet can brook to hear;
And let thy gentle fingers fling
Its melting murmurs o'er mine ear.
If in this heart a hope be dear,
That sound shall charm it forth again:
If in these eyes there lurk a tear,
'Twill flow, and cease to burn my brain.

But bid the strain be wild and deep,
Nor let thy notes of joy be first:
I tell thee, minstrel, I must weep,
Or else this heavy heart will burst;
For it hath been by sorrow nursed,
And ached in sleepless silence, long;
And now 'tis doomed to know the worst,
And break at once - or yield to song.

http://englishhistory.net/byron/poetry.html

Sem comentários:

“ A cultura assusta muito. É uma coisa apavorante para os ditadores. Um povo que lê nunca será um povo de escravos.”

António Lobo Antunes

Prémio Histórico - Filosóficas

Arquivo do blogue